After lots of discussion and staring at maps, we’ve decided on the route for this summer’s 4-week Wilderness Canoe Expedition Semester. We’ll be running the Allagash from Chamberlain bridge to Allagash Village. Then we’ll rest and resupply at the field school for 2 days before hiking with minimal gear in Baxter state park for four days, then canoeing down the East Branch of the Penobscot.
- July 12: Arrive at the field school
- Phase 1 (July 13-14): Trip preparation, canoe skills review, meal planning, gear check and packing
- Phase 2 (July 15-27): Allagash canoe trip from Chamberlain bridge to Allagash village
- Phase 3 (July 28-29): Repack and provision at the field school
- Phase 4 (July 30-August 2): Minimal gear hike in Baxter State Park
- Phase 5 (August 3-6): Canoe upper East Branch of the Penobscot from Mattagammon to Whetstone Falls
- August 7th: debrief at the field school
This is slightly different than last year’s trip. Specifically, we’re switching out the Webster Stream portion of last year’s trip for a minimal gear hiking trip in Baxter State Park. Adding a hiking component and making it a multi-element expedition is something we’ve been thinking about for a few years. For the hike, we’re going to explore the northern end of the park, from Trout Pond farm to South Branch pond and around the Traveler Loop.
For more information on the trip, go to the Wilderness Canoe Expedition Semester page on our site.