Episode 66 of the Jack Mountain Bushcraft Podcast is about the challenges that come with the job of being a professional guide and outdoor instructor. While what we do can look idyllic from the outside, it’s not without difficulty. Christopher and I discuss 8 specific challenges that come with the job:
- You are never off duty.
- You are part of the group, but you have no peers.
- You have to make unpopular decisions for the good and safety of the group.
- You are a beast of burden.
- Time spent away from home and loved ones.
- The ever present danger of making your hobby into your job.
- You’re expected to know everything about everything, all the time.
- You are the social director for the groups you work with.
PHOTO: Christopher poling his EM White canoe on an Aroostook county river.
Kid-Friendly? Profanity In This Episode:
There is no profanity used in this episode.