Choosing tools for winter programs with the Jack Mountain Bushcraft School in Maine and points north. In the video we look at criteria for choosing a useful axe, knife and saw for the winter trail based on year of experience guiding snowshoe trips. Specific gear looked at includes:
- Axes from Pole & Paddle Canoe
- Axe Sheaths from Pole & Paddle Canoe
- Folding Bucksaws from Pole & Paddle Canoe
- Bucksaw Blades from Pole & Paddle Canoe
- Bob’s Quick Bucksaw from Four Dog Stove, 3 sizes, blades, saw bags, etc.
- Mora Classic #2 from Ben’s Backwoods. Lots of other blade styles available, this is the oldest and simplest.
Also check out this video (Pioneer Axe) shot at the Emerson & Stevens foundry around 1960. It shows the process of how these tools used to be made.