Our next School of the Forest is scheduled for November 15th. We’ll get started at 10am as usual but we won’t be wrapping up at 2 o’clock this time around; we’ll be sleeping in the shelters we build!
Staying the night isn’t mandatory, but it will be fun! Cost will be the standard thirty dollars per family.
Here’s a recommended gear list for those interested in attending. It is broken it down into three categories: Must Have, Should Have and May Want.
– Knife (fixed blade with sheath) *we have knives available for use or to purchase*
– Fire Starter (preferably waterproof container of strike anywhere matches)
– Appropriate clothing and footwear (season/weather) *natural fibers are safer around fire*
– Water bottle
– Mess kit (utensil(s), mug, bowl or small pot)
– Tarp or plastic painters drop cloth (10’x12′)
– Sleeping bag or wool blanket (inexpensive ones can be purchased at a military surplus store)
– Extra pair of warm socks
– Cordage (jute twine is great for projects and while not as strong as other options can be discarded in the forest without the fear of polluting)
– Sleeping pad
– Additional layer of clothing
– Extra batteries
– Personal first aid (though we do have a comprehensive kit on site)