I got an email from Tim MacWelch of the Earth Connection School of Wilderness Survival And Ancient Skills in Virginia today. They’re running a weekend primitive skills gathering this month, January 16-18. From his email:
Wolf Moon Camp – Primitive Skills Gathering – January 16-18
Earth Connection School of Wilderness Survival and Ancient Skills is very pleased to announce our Winter Primitive Skills Gathering in Virginia, Jan 16-18. The Wolf Moon is the season when our ancestors would draw close together as the hungry wolves howled around the edges of their camp. Join us as we make use of this cold season with our theme of “Winter Skills and Crafts”. This event is for ages 18 and up. Lessons currently being planned include:
– Flint knapping, Pottery Making and Pottery Firing with special guest instructor Keith Grenoble
– Brain tanning and making things from buckskin with special guest instructor Natalie Bogwalker
– Wilderness Self Defense with Earth Connection North Carolina
– Winter wild edible plants with Hue Hueston
– Friction Fire with the Bow Drill and Grass Coil Basketry from Tim MacWelch
– Primitive Winter shelters, Coal burning wood bowls, String and fiber arts, Primitive jewelry and more.
This is the first event in a series of primitive skills gatherings hosted by the Earth Connection Family of schools. The events will be run at our Virginia camp near Fredericksburg, Va. The events will happen each season and be closely tied to the traditional skills and activities of that time of year. Wolf Moon Camp and Thunder Moon Camp will be for participants 18 and older only. Spring Moon Camp and Hunter’s Moon Camp will be for individuals and families of all ages. Please join us as we celebrate our primitive skills community and the abundance of each season.
For more information or to sign up online – visit: www.earth-connection.com.
I won’t be able to attend this year, but there’s always 2010.