For episode 98 of the JMB podcast, we discuss the process of developing wilderness instructors and guides. We outline the following steps to the process:
- Take a course and get the Journeyman certification
- Take a medical class, first aid or wilderness first responder
- Take and pass the test to become a Registered Maine Guide
- Go on a bunch of trips to learn the waterways and fine-tune your systems
- Do a practicum, where you live with a certain level of (low) technology for 2-3 weeks to lock it in and make it part of you
PHOTO: Poling on the St. Croix, the border between New Brunswick, Canada and downeast Maine.
Kid friendly, no profanity.
- Autumn Woodsman Course | Cold-Weather Wilderness Skills With Minimal Snow
- The Friluftsliv Forest Program – Yearlong Immersion Program In Vermont, 1 Weekend Per Month
- JMBS Master Calendar